Sunday, April 1, 2018

Extra Reading: Seven Secrets from Hindu Calendar Art

This week, things got a little bit crazy with meetings running late and being rescheduled, so I did not have time to do part B of my reading. To make up for it, I am watching a video about the Seven Secrets from Hindu Calendar Art by Devdutt Pattanaik.

I found this to be very interesting. I learned many different things that I would not have known if it weren't for this video and/or this course.

For example, I would never thing that a portrait of a family with someone having an elephant head was resembling a higher power. I would have just thought it was an interesting art piece and nothing more. There are many small details that I did not even notice until the video explained them.

It makes sense that I wouldn't jump to this conclusion as I was not raised around them. Just as someone not raised the way I was would not understand some of my beliefs and teachings. To someone raised is this way, there isn't a second look at such an image. They do not feel the need to rationalize them as it is what they have always known.

I really like the way they described the Hindu belief of God. It is explained as a jigsaw puzzle in which each different form of their God plays a role in forming their one God.


(Image from WikiMedia.)


No comments:

Post a Comment