Friday, January 19, 2018

Growth Mindset: Changes Lives

Every semester at Peer Learning Assistant training through the Student Learning Center I get the opportunity to dive a little deeper in my understanding and application of growth mindset. We actually have watched Carol Dweck's TED talk. It amazes me how a thought that seems so simple truly does control much of what we do everyday and is much more complex once you begin making the change. I get to see both growth and fixed mindsets in Action Center every time I tutor Human Anatomy and my goal is to end the semester with more growth minded conversations than fixed.



This graphic is from a blog post by Jackie Gerstein: The Mindset of the Maker Educator. I am leaving this hear as these are many of the thoughts that go through my head after I leave a lab, tutoring session, class, workout, and more!

In case you are unable to read the text from the graphic, here is it typed out:
Was I resourceful in terms of finding information, resources, and materials?
Did I ask other people for feedback and information, to collaborate?
Did I share my work and findings with others?
Did I learn something new?
Did I play and have fun?
Did I try to either make something better or create something new, rather than just copy something that already exists?
Did I approach learning as an open-ended process, open to new and all possibilities?
Did I accept failure as part of the process and use it to inform my learning?

In high school, I most definitely had a fixed mindset. I did not want to be challenged and, when I was, I would blame my failures on everything but my lack of effort. I was not stimulated by the information or teaching methods and had to intention to ask for help.

My senior year of high school, I finally asked my mom if I could go to a psychologist as I could not even recall what subject we were talking about in a class the minute I walked out. After talking to someone, it turned out that I had a decreased amount of serotonin being secreted in my brain, just as was seen in the photo of a "fixed mindset" brain. I was diagnosed with both ADD and ADHD as all of my test results were off the charts.

After completing my first semester at OU knowing this about myself, I was able to adjust my learning and started to love school. My friends from home never believe me when I tell them that I am a tutor, making good grades, and wanting to learn more than I need to in courses. The funny thing is that I really thought it was purely this medication that was giving me some "instant smartness" that I could not acquire on my own. In reality, I did not put the fact that my Gateway professor and graduation coach both talked to me about growth mindset and it stuck ever since.

Once I became a Peer Learning Assistant and got to attend a training specifically over growth mindset, I gained the confidence in my own capabilities without giving credit to some "magic pill" that I have to take to get myself to shut up and sit still. Now, I understand the self-talk I must engage in that can completely change the way I approach a topic that may not have my interest, such as chemistry.

I have learned that, in order to perform well in a course, I cannot limit my learning to what's required. Some topics are more difficult for me and often times become easier when I dive a little deeper into details beyond what I will be tested over. I have learned that memorization is no good and I pay tuition in order to truly learn and better myself with the help of my professors. Without my introduction to growth mindset as a freshman, I am not sure I would still be on this campus as I took a 180 degree turn around in my academic career because of it.

1 comment:

  1. Natalie, I just saw this post pop up: reading this just makes my day!!! Thank you for sharing your story, and I am so glad that through your own work as a PLA you are helping other students who need a boost. If you have any growth mindset resources you want to share, please do! I'm always looking for graphics, articles, videos, anything that people might connect with not just as an abstract idea but as something they can use in their own lives. Reading your post reminds me about just how important that is! Thank you again, and I hope this class will be a good chance for you to keep on growing and exploring. :-)

    ReplyDelete